Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Publicity Dilemma Discussion

Some of you may have heard of the recent controversy about HBO's series, "Big Love," a show set in Salt Lake about a man and his 3 wives that claims to not be about Mormons but makes repeated, blatant references to Mormon culture and practices, showing in its upcoming episode LDS temple practices and ordinances, reportedly mimicking and recreating the ceremonies down to the endowment rooms and sacred robes worn. (TV Guide talks about the show in their latest issue on pg 48: http://www.tvguidemagsales.com/WeeklyIssues/TVG030909.pdf )

On Monday, the church posted a Commentary in their newsroom, referencing the HBO show.
http://newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/commentary/the-publicity-dilemma

I want to affirm what the commentary declares: it's not 1830, and there's not just six of us anymore. "No unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing" and this is no exception. While it is appalling that someone would have such insolence for another person's beliefs and practices, it will not hurt the LDS Church's cause or purpose. The LDS Church is the Church of Jesus Christ, the creator of heaven and earth. "Remember that it is not the work of God that is frustrated, but the work of men." Satan mocks God in all things, and as we come closer to the second coming of Jesus Christ, the powers of Satan will grow and grow. But "they that be with us are more than they that be with them."

Most of you know that I work for the LDS Church at their headquarters in Salt Lake City. An e-mail was sent from HR to all employees, encouraging us to share with our family and friends a short video presentation about why we build temples posted on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/mormonmessages

I want to make it clear in no uncertain terms, without equivocation or compromise that I know that the LDS Church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Saints, of which I am a member, teaches the fullness of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. I echo Elder Jeffrey R Holland's testimony, and declare eagerly and unequivocally that there is again a living prophet on the earth speaking in the name of the Lord. It is no trivial matter for this Church to declare to the world prophecy, seership, and revelation, but we do declare it. I know that God, the Father of us all and His Son, Jesus Christ, appeared to Joseph Smith in fulfillment of the ancient promise that the resurrected Jesus of Nazareth would again restore His Church on earth. The sacred volume of scripture he translated, the Book of Mormon, the keystone of our religion is an inspired work, containing the fulness of the gospel of Jesus Christ, and that a person will get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book.




Lastly, I testify with words of utmost soberness and sincerity that within the sacred walls of the temple, the necessary ordinances of eternal life and salvation are performed. Line upon line, through prayer and supplication, the mysteries of God are revealed within the temple; it is literally God's house on the earth. I want to also make it crystal clear that this testimony is my own; no one gave it to me, I had to earn it and I will stand by it until my last breath.

If any one reading this post is not a member of the LDS church, I would encourage you to comment on this post with any questions or concerns, or visit mormon.org.


President Gordon B. Hinckley, our last prophet and president of the church said:
"This is the restored Church of Jesus Christ. We as a people are Latter-day Saints. We testify that the heavens have been opened, that the curtains have been parted, that God has spoken, and that Jesus Christ has manifested Himself, followed by a bestowal of divine authority.

Jesus Christ is the cornerstone of this work, and it is built upon a “foundation of … apostles and prophets” (
Eph. 2:20). This wondrous Restoration should make of us a people of tolerance, of neighborliness, of appreciation and kindness toward others. We cannot be boastful. We cannot be proud. We can be thankful, as we must be. We can be humble, as we should be.


We love those of other churches. We work with them in good causes. We respect them. But we must never forget our roots. Those roots lie deep in the soil of the opening of this, the final dispensation, the dispensation of the fulness of times...When it comes to divine authority, this is the sum and substance of the whole matter. God be thanked for His marvelous bestowal of testimony, authority, and doctrine associated with this, the restored Church of Jesus Christ.


This must be our great and singular message to the world. We do not offer it with boasting. We testify in humility but with gravity and absolute sincerity. We invite all, the whole earth, to listen to this account and take measure of its truth. God bless us as those who believe in His divine manifestations and help us to extend knowledge of these great and marvelous occurrences to all who will listen. To these we say in a spirit of love, bring with you all that you have of good and truth which you have received from whatever source, and come and let us see if we may add to it. This invitation I extend to men and women everywhere with my solemn testimony that this work is true, for I know the truth of it by the power of the Holy Ghost."




"If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God...and it shall be given him." -James 1:5

1 comment:

Scott Wiser said...

Beautiful - I completely agree.