That was the very first question the interviewer, Dr. Troy Nielson of the BYU, asked me. I was a bit confused, but then remember I had mentioned my mother's battle with cancer in one of my essays. I told her she was doing well, leading a somewhat normal life. He then asked about me and how I was doing after the accident. Wow, this guy had really read my stuff!
Onto the important stuff. He asked me why I picked BYU and why the OBHR major in the MBA program. He asked what skills and abilities I had gained with my music degree that were transferable into business. We talked about my future career path next, and what type of companies I am interested in being a part of. The people who wrote my letters of recommendation were next on the list. He asked what they would say, if they were here, was my greatest strength in the workplace and something that has room for improvement. I mean, what do you say to that kind of question, what is your biggest weakness? You want to say something that will still make you look good, like "My biggest weakness is that I care too much," or "my biggest weakness is that I spend too much time at the office." But you risk coming off vainglorious or pretentious or full of crap-o-la. I told him I have a problem trying to do many things at once. He then told me that when, I mean, if you get in the program, you would have a 2nd year student mentor--they call it the sherpa program...sherpa...isn't that a great word?--to show you the ins and outs of the program and how best to prioritize your life.
After all the questions were asked of me, he talked about my future at BYU. He said at least 3 or 4 times that I interview really well, and come off as confident but not arrogant. Wow, I came off as confident?
Onto the important stuff. He asked me why I picked BYU and why the OBHR major in the MBA program. He asked what skills and abilities I had gained with my music degree that were transferable into business. We talked about my future career path next, and what type of companies I am interested in being a part of. The people who wrote my letters of recommendation were next on the list. He asked what they would say, if they were here, was my greatest strength in the workplace and something that has room for improvement. I mean, what do you say to that kind of question, what is your biggest weakness? You want to say something that will still make you look good, like "My biggest weakness is that I care too much," or "my biggest weakness is that I spend too much time at the office." But you risk coming off vainglorious or pretentious or full of crap-o-la. I told him I have a problem trying to do many things at once. He then told me that when, I mean, if you get in the program, you would have a 2nd year student mentor--they call it the sherpa program...sherpa...isn't that a great word?--to show you the ins and outs of the program and how best to prioritize your life.
After all the questions were asked of me, he talked about my future at BYU. He said at least 3 or 4 times that I interview really well, and come off as confident but not arrogant. Wow, I came off as confident?
He said the admissions committee might be concerned that my GMAT score, specifically the quantitative section was a little low and asked what I would say to that. I said that I have always taken upper division math classes and done really well with math, however I am a bit out of practice and it takes me a little bit longer time to do. He seemed appeased with that answer.Overall, I felt the interview went fantastic!! The admissions committee is meeting on Thursday and he said I should hear back by Friday maybe Saturday, but possibly not until Monday or Tuesday. This is going to be one of the longest weeks EVER!
2 comments:
That is awesome! You come across as confident to me too...and not arrogant. Way to go with the interview. I am excited to hear what you find out. (I will admit that the title of your post caught my attention and I asked myself that very same question about my own mother...it made me wonder how she is doing right now!)
Way to go, Carly! Those interviews are terribly nerve-racking and I am impressed! I'll keep you in my prayers. Good luck!
Post a Comment