In honor of Thanksgiving, here are 20 things that you might not expect to see on a list of thankfulness.
1. The tape deck in my car; having a CD player AND a tape deck makes me feel like I am riding in the lap of 1990s luxury and reminds me what "luxury" is: fleeting and fickle.
2. My father's socks in my sock drawer (obtained through continual, outright thievery without any guilt felt on my part). Remember when you were very small and tried to wear dad's shoes around the house, pretending you were like him? It's sort of a grown up version of that.
3. That small, 3'x2' piece of tile on the kitchen floor that always stays warm and toasty.
4. Going to school with bunch of married men; they are more mature, there's little drama, you never have to worry about "leading them on", they are ambitious and hard-working, they have exemplary wives, and I learn a whole lot from them. My classmates are one of the highlights of my MBA experience.
5. Bacon.
6. Forgetting Paul Cartwright's scar; I stopped noticing the scar on his handsome face a few moments after first meeting him; it reminds me that others likely do the same for me.
7. Showing up at a party wearing the same thing as someone else. I love that! Most of the time it happens with one of my sisters and we purchased the item together, which makes it a "link" to them when I can't see them. When it's a friend, it's the same story. When it's a stranger, it's a great excuse to strike up a conversation and make a new friend.
8. Shoeracks; there is nothing better than a clean, clear closet floor. When my room and closet are clean, I am much more productive and happy. Ahhh...
9. Lean Cuisine and Healthy Choice frozen entrees: for keeping me alive and filled during graduate school.
10. Michael Buble.
11. My HUGE school debt that continues to grow larger and larger; it reminds me to value and make the most of the experience I am having and work hard for it.
12. Mary's Lullaby. Even though I am sort of sick of singing the song 137 times and counting, I am so thankful I have something even small to give back to my grandfather who requests it: a man who has everything because he has given everything.
13. The Jo Bros! Alright, the silence has at last been broken. I have a crush on the Jonas Brothers. And why shouldn't I? They are sugary sweet, clean kids with sugary sweet, clean music that is fun! And they are, like, oh my gosh, so cute.
14. Rush Limbaugh and Kieth Olbermann. They remind me that no matter what you believe, the way you share your opinions and especially how you treat those who disagree with you is so important... sometimes more important than what you believe. People don't often remember what you say, but they remember how they felt when you said it. (NOTE: I realize that these two people are entertainers and the explosiveness of their delivery is part of the show. However, I still learn from them how not to delivery your viewpoint.)
15. Laffy taffys. The lil cafe on the first floor of the business building sells them. When our study group is having a long day or is particularly high stressed, I grab some laffy taffys and we all get a sugar rush while sharing bad jokes. It lightens the mood every time.
16. DI. Going to DI satisfies my shopping addiction and presents a welcome challenge to find a great steal. I have tons of stuff from DI that is high quality.
17. Quoteboard blogs. Hi. lar. i. ous. My immediate family and the MBA program each have one. It's so simple but brings us together and is highly entertaining.
18. thesaurus.com. I can never quite think of that word that I want to say but this website often helps me put my finger on it.
19. My dry erase markers. The business building does not keep markers in the classrooms and my finance teacher never brings any with him. I rarely make any smart or insightful comments in his class, but can feign participation by letting him borrow my markers and I am happy to do so.
20. My fruit punch koolaid-flavored chapstick.
1 comment:
That was the best gratitude list I read all season.
Post a Comment